Mom’s Rugburn Leads To Leg Amputation

Mar 14th, 2023

A 34-year-old mother from Michigan had to have her limbs amputated after a minor injury on her knee led to a deadly bacterial infection. According to reports, the infection was caused by the same type of bacteria that caused her son’s sore throat earlier in the year.

Crystal Luthra had fallen on her knee and received a rug burn, which she did not consider a serious injury. However, days later, her knee began to swell, and she was experiencing flu-like symptoms. Crystal’s condition rapidly deteriorated, and she was rushed to the emergency room.

Doctors were forced to amputate Crystal’s left leg above the knee and her right leg below the knee to stop the spread of the bacterial infection. Her right arm was also amputated above the elbow.

According to Crystal’s family, she contracted a bacterial infection known as group A streptococcus, which is commonly found in the throat and on the skin. The family believes that the bacteria entered Crystal’s body through the rug burn on her knee.

Crystal’s 9-year-old son, Logan, had suffered from a sore throat earlier in the year, which was also caused by group A streptococcus. After learning about his mother’s condition, Logan was tested and found to be carrying the same strain of bacteria.

While group A streptococcus is a common bacteria, it can be deadly if it enters the bloodstream. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the bacteria can cause necrotizing fasciitis, a rare but serious bacterial infection that spreads quickly and destroys the body’s soft tissue.

Crystal’s case is a reminder of the importance of taking even minor injuries seriously and seeking medical attention if symptoms persist or worsen. It also highlights the importance of being vigilant about bacterial infections and taking steps to prevent their spread.

Crystal’s family has set up a GoFundMe page to help with her medical expenses and rehabilitation. They are also sharing her story to raise awareness about the dangers of bacterial infections and the importance of seeking medical attention for even minor injuries.