Mom Ends Up Paralyzed After Doctor Injected Skin-Cleanser Instead Of Epidural

Sep 23rd, 2020

Ask any mother and they can tell you that giving birth is not easy. It is painful, more than the level that you can ever imagine. And to make their birth experience a little better, they choose to have an epidural.

An epidural can help stop pain signals to travel from the spine to the brain. A small amount of anesthetic is injected into the epidural area of the spine. The epidural space is filled with fluid that surrounds the spinal cord.

An epidural will provide anesthesia that creates numbness from the bellybutton down to your upper legs. With epidural, it will allow you to stay awake and alert throughout labor and only feel the pressure.

When a woman gives birth, she rests her safety in the hands of her doctors. And in rare instances, anything can go wrong. This is what happened to this woman where her epidural resulted in her being paralyzed.

According to reports, an anesthetist mistakenly injected 33-year-old Grace Wang with chlorhexidine, a skin-cleansing fluid, instead of an epidural. This was during a routine injection of spinal anesthesia for her epidural. Because of this grave mistake, the new mom from Sydney suffered massive nerve damage. She also had to undergo two brain surgeries. But in the end, she became paralyzed from the waist down.

The hospital did admit their fault about what happened but according to them, Grace’s case is an isolated incident.

Grace and Jason never expected anything bad to happen that day. This was supposed to be a moment worth celebrating. But it ended in a tragedy for these first-time parents.

Grace recalls her heart breaking after she realized that she couldn’t physically hold her own son after he was born. Grace said, “When all those nurses hold Alex when they kiss and hug him, I feel really sad because I really hope I can also hold him just like the others do because our Alex is so cute. ”

During her interview with SBS Mandarin News, Grace said that she still feels the after-effects of the mistake in her epidural. Even while sitting in her wheelchair without feeling anything from her waist down to her upper hips, she still feels very stiff. She explains that it’s as if all the nerves in her body are constantly in pain.

She also shared that there are days when it’s still difficult for her to accept the tragedy.

But this left Grace with no choice. Even though she will not be able to take care of her own son, her husband Jason took over that role. He also has to take care of her at the same time. And for this couple, this makes the situation more difficult for them because they are on their own in Australia, with no other family who can help.

According to the Sydney Morning Herald report, both clear liquids were placed in separate dishes on a sterile table in the delivery room when Grace was prepped before delivery. Unfortunately, the liquids were mistakenly switched because they were unlabeled.

Epidurals are supposed to be safe for both baby and mommy as long as it is administered correctly and by a trained anesthetist. But do not be afraid because most women have positive experiences about how their labor and delivery became more memorable because they considered epidural.