Girl has healthy leg amputated after hospital ignored her cries for 10 hours

The family of 12-year-old Meiah Tafoya has filed a lawsuit against Albuquerque’s Presbyterian Hospital, claiming that the hospital kept her waiting for 10 hours before performing surgery on her leg, resulting in the amputation of her left leg. Meiah had fallen at school and was taken to the hospital for treatment, but her family claims that hospital staff delayed treatment despite her leg getting cold. She was eventually transported to the University of New Mexico Hospital, where doctors performed the amputation. The family is alleging that the hospital’s employees acted “unreasonably” and did not provide timely treatment. The hospital has not yet commented on the allegations.

According to reports, Meiah Tafoya fell and hurt her leg while she was at school on October 14th. Her mother, Stephanie Sedillo, received a call from the school informing her of the incident and that rescue was on the way. She rushed to the school, but upon arrival, her daughter had already been taken to Albuquerque’s Presbyterian Hospital.

Ms Sedillo said her daughter got triage and an X-ray on her left leg, but then had to wait for 10 hours before being seen again. She said she repeatedly urged hospital staff to take a look at her daughter’s leg, which was reportedly getting cold. “The guy finally said that, he started panicking because he realised that her leg was cold, and she was screaming so crazy that, he’s like, ‘we gotta get her transported to UNM [University of New Mexico]’,” Ms Sedillo said.

At the University of New Mexico Hospital, doctors said Meiah’s left leg would have to be amputated. Her family said she had to subsequently get four more surgeries and spent over three months recovering in a hospital. “It’s been hell, it’s been hard,” said Ms Sedillo.

The family filed a suit against Presbyterian Hospital alleging its employees acted “unreasonably” and did not provide timely treatment. Todd Bullion, who represents the Sedillo family, said: “We’re gonna find out exactly why this happened and hopefully prevent something like this from happening to anyone else ever again.”

Court documents revealed that the hospital said it does not have enough information about the allegations. It stated that “all allegations of the complaint” are “not expressly admitted or denied”. “Presbyterian was recently served with the complaint, and we will reserve comment on pending litigation for the appropriate venue,” the hospital said.

The family’s lawsuit is a tragic reminder of the importance of timely medical treatment. Meiah’s mother, Stephanie Sedillo, is now left to take care of her daughter as she adjusts to her new life. A GoFundMe page has been set up by Ms Sedillo to help with expenses. It has, so far, fetched a little more than $7,000 out of a $20,000 donation goal.

Meiah said she is trying to adjust to her new life. “It’s a little easy, a little hard. I’m going to get through it though,” she said.

The family’s lawsuit highlights the importance of timely medical treatment and the tragic consequences that can occur when it is delayed. It is understandable that the family would want to know why this happened and to prevent something like this from happening to anyone else again. The community is rallying around the family to support them during this difficult time.