Family Warns Everyone About New Challenge Going Viral On Social Media After Teen Dies

Sep 23rd, 2020

Most teenagers are known to be brave risk-takers. It can be due to peer pressure where they would try to do what others are doing just to fit in. Or it can be that they are trying to impress their friends by proving that they can do even the most dangerous dares and challenges they come across with.

And since almost all teenagers these days have access to the internet, they make sure that they share their success with these challenges on popular social media platforms. One of the most popular these days is TikTok.

TikTok is a platform where anyone can share short clips of anything that they want to show the public. Some would start dance and singing trends, while others use this to encourage others to try a dare.

Chloe Phillips, a 15-year-old sophomore who attended Blanchard High School in Oklahoma was described by her family as a happy and faith-driven teen. Her family also shares that she was “not one to experiment with drugs.” She loved dancing, music, and just hanging out with her friends. And now, her family is heartbroken and grieving after she passed away in August 2020.

Chloe Phillips overdosed on Benadryl.

A similar case happened to Rebekah, a 14-year-old girl who also overdosed on Benadryl after she took 14 tablets in the middle of the night on Memorial Day. This Texas teen experienced hallucinations and her speech and mobility were off. Her resting heart rate was at 199. Thankfully, her family found her before everything was too late and immediately rushed her to the hospital.

Rebekah’s heart rate returned to normal the following day and was able to recover. Aside from Rebekah, two other teens from Texas were also hospitalized after they overdosed on Benadryl.

So what encouraged these teens to overdose on this over-the-counter medicine?

Taking too much Benadryl is part of a ‘challenge’ popularized on TikTok. This challenge involves taking dozens of Benadryl to experience hallucination and posting a video of this incident on TikTok.

Pharmaceutical giant Johnson & Johnson is warning all parents to talk to their teenagers and younger children regarding the known TikTok trend where several teens are overdosing on Benadryl as part of a challenge. According to the antihistamine manufacturer, “The Benadryl TikTok trend is extremely concerning, dangerous and should be stopped immediately.

” The company also claims that it is already working with TikTok to implement “the removal of content across social platforms that showcase this behavior. ”

According to Scott Schaeffer, the director of the Oklahoma Center for Poison and Drug Information, taking too much Benadryl that can cause hallucinations can be life-threatening. He explained, “Large amounts of Benadryl can cause seizures and, particularly, problems with the heart. The heart tends to go out of rhythm and not pump blood effectively.” Educators are helping raise awareness about the dangers of this challenge.

There is nothing wrong with following a trend. There are plenty of harmless challenges on TikTok that anyone can try. Unfortunately, TikTok has recently become a hotbed for these dangerous challenges. Aside from this new trend, some teens also placed their lives in danger when they tried the highly-flammable penny fad and the “skull-breaker” challenge. Now parents, do not forget to warn your children about these dangerous challenges.